Why this module?
What will you learn?
In the first study section, after presenting the different transmission types, we go through the automatic tranmission’s structure, for example the torque converter, hydraulic system and transmission mechanics in-depth. In this section you will learn what happens inside the transmission when you see the modes P, R, N, D, D1, etc. on the instrument cluster display. In the section “Components”, you will study the torque converter’s operation, which is made easy by the module’s visual animations.
The planetary gear sets and the clutches and brakes used to control them make up their own entity. In the planetary gear set operation you familiarise yourself with gear sets that have made the development of the transmission possible, for example Compound Planetary Gear Sets (Ravigneaux ja Simpson Gear Set) and Nested Planetary Gear Sets.
In the section on hydraulics you learn what kind of different hydraulic pressures are regulated in the transmission, how different torque converters are controlled and what the shifting pressure, that makes shifting smooth, is.
In the second study section, the center is the control system of the mechanics and hydraulics, and its electrical structure. With this module you learn how to utilise the electrical and structure schematics provided by the manufacturer, and use them to make an assumption of what operational checks can be performed with electrical measurements.
The hydraulics control uses different pressure levels, such as; line pressure, shifting pressure, control pressure and torque converter pressure, with which the pressure is kept stable and solenoids’ mechanical movement is quicker even though the control currents are lower.
In addition to the regulating and switching solenoids used in the control, the manual valve (gear selector valve) is a central part of the operation, even though it might be fully electrically operated.
In addition to their compact construction, automatic transmissions are special due to the fact that transmissions contain very different amounts of sensors, which we are used to use as aid when troubleshooting. Many programme and calculation measures decrease the need for sensors. That is why it is crucial to understand the function of the sensors in the transmission, since a fault in these might interrupt driving at once.
At the end of the study section, we get to know the driver’s functions, control devices and driving modes’ differences in the shifting maps. The electrification of the gear selector used by the driver has also brought many versions of its connection to the transmission itself. Electronic use also has a crucial effect on the release of the Park Lock mechanism in a fault situation.
Open Product Sheet (PDF)
After studying you will have a strong knowledge of the automatic transmission’s operation. You will be ready to develop your troubleshooting skills in practice and adopt the differences across different manufacturers solutions, as well as utilising instruction and training effectively. This training gives you the opportunity to even specialise in becoming an automatic transmission expert.
After completing your module of study and approved completion of the exercises, you will be allowed to take the final exam. After completing the final exam, you can print a Prodiags certificate from your attainments register as proof of your expertise.
Open Product Sheet (PDF)
To reach the best learning outcomes you will benefit from having a basic knowledge in electricity and measuring technology as well as the basics of common solutions in sensor and actuator technology. To study Electricity, we recommend the Training Modules:
- Automotive Electrical Troubleshooting Basics
This course’s topics and objectives correspond in scope to a conventional 3 day training event.
Once you have made your payment, you get immediate access to the content in the form of a license valid for 6 months. You’ll save time and money by not needing to travel.
Internet connection and PC or laptop with browser. Recommended screen resolution 1024 x 768 or higher.
We want to make sure that you always have the latest version of our product. Prodiags reserves the right to make real time updates and changes. This way you’ll always have the best version, without extra fees.
Open Product Sheet (PDF)
1/4 – I’m a mechanic and I want to direct the payment for the training to my foreman, how can I do this?
- When ordering a Prodiags Training Module you can easily direct the payment to your manager or even to your mum. Open/print out the link’s instructions.
Printable order instructions (PDF)
2/4 – How can I provide my mechanics with useful training for example when a customer cancels an appointment?
- With the help of an Online Training Module you can utilise open spaces in the calendar and cancelled appointments with completing efficient training.
- If you have an ambitious mechanic whose skills and competence level you want to raise, Prodiags Training Modules are the easiest and most efficient way to start the training.
Read more about the benefits >> Workshop Manager
3/4 – What knowledge is required from me in order to provide added value to my training event with pre-learning and online material?
- Starting using the training material requires only a few clicks from you. You order the training material, add the participants and the pre-learning is up and running.
- A central added value of the Training Module’s Assessments: the trainer and learner knows the starting level, which enables the interest and motivation in the training to be maintained.
Learn more >> Trainer / Teacher
4/4 – How can I share and present Prodiags products to my community?
- Prodiags Automotive Training Modules are meant for everyone with an interest in the automotive industry. We cooperate with different influencers and we do not bind our partners to our brand.
- If you were interested in presenting your own collaboration idea to us, please fill in the Influencer Form and tell us more about yourself and your idea.
Open Influencer Form >>